Sunday, April 27, 2014

How To: Homemade Protein Treatment


Limp, Dry & Old lol..Yikes looking thirstaayyy

On my  Healthy Hair Journey I've learned so much about my natural hair that I wish I knew sooner. Protein Treatments are very important in strengthen your hair strands & keeping your hair structured properly. I would focus on making sure my hair was moisturized (in the beginning) failing to pay any attention to if my hair was getting the proper amount of protein it needed to thrive. The truth is you need a proper balance of protein and moisture you simply cannot have healthy strong hair if you are lacking either or.

Our hair is about 70% Keratin Protein by nature. Hair that breaks with very little tension or stretching is a sign of an overabundance of protein, and a deficiency of moisture. So you want to find and work with a healthy balance that works for your own hair. If your hair stretches more than normal then snaps you should add more protein in your hair routine. Or if your hair feels limp/flat you probably need to add more protein treatments into your regimen. If you hair feels dry/ brittle that is a moisture problem so add more moisture. The leave in mix I've written about previous will work great for that.

What My Protein Treatment Consists Of:

  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 Table Spoons Mayonnaise 
  • 2 Table Spoon Olive Oil
  • 2 Table Spoons Sunflower Oil







I call my method the QUAD-2 Method. It reminded me of how much of each product I need. Mix it up thoroughly so that the mixture has a good consistency.  Damp your hair and section it off into four sections. Apply a generous amount to each section coating the hair completely. I would start off using less so that you assure you have enough to cover your entire head and then go back through with whatever you have left. 

I cover my hair with a plastic bag/shower cap for about 20 minutes. Then I remove the cap and allow my hair to air dry. The mixture will dry on your hair leaving it stiff and hard. You do not want to comb or manipulate your hair when it is in this state.

Hair is covered with protein treatment mixture. The mixture has dried



After the mixture has completed dried on your hair you want to rinse your hair with warm/cool water. (avoid hot you don't want scrambled eggs in your hair lol) Rinse thoroughly until your hair feels like it is no longer coated. Next you will need to do a light shampoo (sulfate free shampoo) Wash you hair normally and assure their is no left over protein treatment mixture in your hair.


After Protein Treatment Mix is Rinsed Out & Hair is Shampooed
Hair is shiny and healthy.

For me my hair feel's lighter and softer after a protein treatment
I like to replenish my hair with moisture being that protein treatments can be drying to you hair (although necessary for your moisture protein balancing).. So I follow this process with my leave in conditioner process. For me after this treatment is completed my hair feel's lighter and softer. Pay attention to your hair to know exactly what it needs because our hair definitely speaks to us if we pay attention.


Any questions comment below or email JbeautyHealthyLife@Gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment